I learned this afternoon that my beloved Granma Jane passed away today. A bit sudden (they think a heart attack or stroke), but not completely surprising (she was an amazing 92!), and yet still quite sad. We will miss her. Since she loved reading this blog (printed out on paper and mailed to her by my dad), I wanted to be sure to note her passing here. It's just too bad I can't share it with her so she would know, just one more time, how much she was loved and how much she'll be missed.
I don't have all that many pictures of her that I can share - trying to find a younger picture of her makes me realize how short a time I've been "digital" in my photography. Which means I can't share pictures of all the fun summers we spent visiting her and granpa at their house on their lake, making her laugh as we played all kinds of made up games on big inner tubes. I don't have a hilarious photo of her teaching us granddaughters how to do aerobics to a workout record. And I don't have any pictures of the many Thanksgivings we spent at her house, eating pecan swirls for breakfast while watching the parade. Or even a photo of us the three girls dressing up in her old clothes, wearing a selection from her extensive collection of clip on earrings and trying out her makeup. (which is a shame, because some of those pics would be funny!)
But I do have ones of her meeting all her great-grandchildren, which I know made her happy. Plus I am thankful that we were able to visit her more frequently these past few months since we moved back to NC. So here are a few photos in her honor...
Meeting Hayden, her very first grandchild. Hayden was about 2 months old in this picture.
With Jay, (I think it was the first time, but I'm not completely sure about that). He was about 4 months old in the photo.
Meeting Eliza. Not an especially flattering picture for either one of them. Eliza is around 3 months old.

Meeting the most recent addition to the family, Charlotte. They really connected - look how they matched their clothes! Charlotte was about 2.5 months.

The whole Sanford family, right after Granpa's funeral in June of 2009. And then one of Granma with her three granddaughters too.
We also were lucky to get to celebrate her birthday with her this year, ALL of us. I'm sure she had a wonderful time seeing all of us in one place. Here's a video of happy birthday sung at lunch. You can hear Granma's singing voice, still beautiful at 92!
Anyway, that's the end of the my little blog tribute to Granma Jane. I know she is in a happier place, and happy to have moved on so she can be reunited with Granpa. After more than 60+ years together, I'm sure it was hard to spend time apart. Now they no longer have to have a long distance relationship. Say hi to him Granma! We'll miss you both very much.

3 comments:
Thanks so much for posting this, Becky. Meredith saw it right before I called to tell her. She has some good memories of her Great-Aunt Jane, though Hannah doesn't remember quite so much. Jay and I are thinking fondly of her and Uncle Rut tonight. We are hoping to make the trip Saturday.
I couldn't get the video to work yesterday when I read this, but it worked today. Cool.
Thanks for posting this, B. You captured some great memories and moments. Tear.
See you this weekend.
This is a wonderful tribute to an incredible lady that had more influence on our lives than we will ever know.
I'm glad we all got to celebrate Granma & Granpa together!
Post a Comment