For any of you who know me, you know that I am minorly (okay, majorly) obsessed with berries and I am doing my best to instill that obsession in my children. So far, so good. They pick berries with me, they expect to have berry-themed clothing to wear on such berry picking occasions, and they can model berry beards with the best of them.
 |
| working on her berry beard |
I was a bit apprehensive about strawberry season this year since it kicked off with an email from my favorite berry place saying that they were NOT going to have U-pick due to the cold winter and a problem with deer. That meant I had to find a new place to pick. Luckily I was up to the challenge - and truly there are no shortage of places to pick around here.

We have now been to pick four times at two different places. I have three bags of berries in the freezer for smoothies and a new batch of jam. I didn't quite get around to making strawberry bread, or even strawberry shortcake this year but we have definitely gorged ourselves on strawberries! I think we might be ready for blueberries - unless of course someone wants to go picking one more time for strawberries...
 |
| Cheese! |
The first time we went to pick this spring, we enticed some friends to join us. It wasn't too hot, pickings were easy and we had a great time. Yes, Eliza did ask me to approve each and EVERY berry that she picked (after it was already off the plant, so it really wasn't necessary!) but I just tried to appreicate her interest in quality control. By the fourth time we went, we got the rules down to two simple statements - really red, and no squishy parts - and even Molly had learned that she could ask to eat it if the berry had a few (small) squishy parts.
 |
| Is she ready or what?! Bucket and sunhat! |
 |
| how about this one mommy? |
 |
| what about this one? |
 |
| sampling the deliciousness |
 |
| showing off a perfect berry. (She really tried to find a big red one to give to Hayden who couldn't come due to school.) |
 |
| come on, it's time to go! (They haven't quite developed the must-pick-one-more urge yet.) |
 |
| posing with our haul! what a bunch of berry cute girls! |
2 comments:
Yes, they are berry cute girls and who doesn't like strawberries freshly picked from the field by hand - your own hand is best!
I'm ready for blueberry season!!
Love,
Popop
Thanks for sharing these! What fun we had!
Post a Comment