Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Valentines

Even though we ended up spending Valentine's Day holed up in the house due to snow, I think it is important to say that WE WERE READY. EARLY! We had handcrafted valentines for all of Hayden's classmates (23 + 3 teachers) and all of Eliza's classmates (17 + 4 teachers) the weekend BEFORE Valentine's Day. Molly's were planned and almost ready, except I didn't want to package them till the day of, so they were put off until Sunday night. The kids did SO great with them! I searched for homemade kid valentines and got lots of ideas and they picked out the ones they wanted to do. We made a trip to Michael's and Target to gather supplies and then we got to work. I did help with cutting and spelling, but they did most of the work for the creation. Eliza was a champ at decorating so many butterflies! I was so proud of their work, I need to show them off here!

Eliza works hard to decorate. Notice how she dressed up fancy to get creative!
Not quite sure why I thought handmade Valentine's was a good idea, given the mess it created. But we had fun!
Eliza's creations: lollipop flowers, lollipop butterflies for classmates and hearts for teachers
Hayden's creations: pencil hearts and pencil owls. Heart pads attached too!
Molly and Eliza work on stuffing the bags for Molly's valentines
Molly's valentines: baggies filled with teddy grahams and gummy bears, with a little note that had a heart cut out from one of her many paintings
 After previous years that felt like such work to get the kids to do valentines, this year was really fun. As I mentioned, H and E were really into being creative, and stuck to it. I enjoyed the experience - though I still need to clean up that art table - UGH! For teachers, they both decorated hearts and wrote messages. I made two kinds of cookies - brownie roll outs and chocolate truffle cookies - to share with the teachers. (Valentine's Day is all about chocolate!) In grand total, we made 51 kid valentines and 10 teacher valentines - plus a few more for family. That's a lot of love to share! Phew!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I trust that all those Valentine's did get delivered even though there was no school on V-Day! The girls did a great job and are lucky to have such a talented and supportive Mom!
Thanks, by the way, for sharing some of the cookies with us as well as such cute Valentine's from Hayden and Eliza.
Love,
Popop

Libby said...

Whoa...that is some serious Valentine crafting. Well done, all of you!!