Saturday, September 1, 2012

Molly 1st Bday - Cake Edition

What's the best part of first birthday parties? The little one getting his/her first introduction to the deliciousness of cake. We had a lovely little birthday party for Molly - with both sets of grandparents present, along with a few friends who had shared Molly's first year (including two baby buddies - one born in August last year like Molly and one born in October!) The party was lovely, but the BEST part was Molly's introduction to cake. In this case, pictures speak louder than words, so here's how it went down.

First, the cakes. Beautiful, delicious lemon blueberry cupcakes iced with whipped cream frosting, homemade of course, and decorated with candy letters. They looked nicer in person (in my opinion), I still need to work on my food photography skills.
close up of her name
 After a dinner of pizza, peas and carrots, blueberries, and  watermelon, (which Molly scarfed up. She is an eating MACHINE these days!), it was time for cake. We lit the single candle, sang the birthday song and presented her with the cupcakes.
What IS this glowing thing in front of me?
What are you doing Mom? Why are you being so weird!
 Then we placed one in front of her and the fun began.

She didn't want to touch it at first. So we dipped her fingers in and....
She started CRYING!!! "It's on my fingers, get it off!!!"
And then we put it in her mouth - You are mean, evil parents! Get it out of my mouth!!
Okay, I'm settled down.(notice the red eyes and nose!) I will eat the blueberry that YOU pulled off that evil white thing.
Mmmm, plain blueberries, so much better than nasty CUPCAKE.
The blueberries are gone, now what do you want me to do?
Eventually we unwrapped it. And then she deigned to touch the evil cupcake - but only at the cake end.
She was willing to try the frosting when it was served to her on a spoon.
Uh-oh, I got that yucky white stuff on my fingers again.
Hmmm, this candy letter thing isn't so bad.
How do I get this stuff off my hand?
All done. Now I will engage you with my side-to-side leaning routine.
Take me away from here people! No more cupcake for me!





So no adorable messy face pictures after playing with icing, but I did get a lovely picture with the birthday girl! Maybe next year you'll have your cake AND eat it too!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sitting here laughing at Molly's reaction to her cupcake!! Great pictures.

Unknown said...

I am sitting here laughing at Molly's reaction to her cupcake!! Great pictures.

Anonymous said...

I don't think Molly was anti-cake; I think she was overwhelmed by the people, the singing, the presents, and all the attention. Not easy turning one!!! But she rallied!
Love,
Popop