Monday, February 20, 2012

Superbowl Party #11

Earlier this month, we introduced Molly to our family tradition of throwing a Super Bowl party. It was our first real "party" in our new house (we tried last year, but no one except Grandma and Popop could come!), and I was a bit nervous about playing host after such a long time off. Luckily I had a trusty assistant to help me with the preparations. Of course, she was more interested in tasting things, than actually helping, but she still did a good job.
Eliza's version of spreading out the cookie dough for baking...
She needs a little more training, but I like her neat lines!


a great way to develop fine motor coordination

One of the things we tried new this year was to make 'pigs-in-a-pretzel.' We made our favorite pretzel dough (seriously try it. SO yummy!) and wrapped it around mini hotdogs. There were a couple large ones we tried too, just so we could taste test before the party. In case you are wondering how they turned out, ALL the 'pigs-in-a-pretzel' were gone by the end of the party; and only a few of the plain pretzels (I made two batches of dough!) were left.
You know you want to try one!

This year was a different crowd then we've had in the past. Many more kids (ours and guests!) and less adult beverages, but everyone still had fun. The kids' table was very busy, and our kid kitchen was a popular hangout zone.


Even with the different guest list, we still had a GREAT spread of food. Pigs-in-a-pretzel, plain soft pretzels (in the shape of Xs and Os!), sausage nacho dip, sausage roll, mini quiches, mozarella and tomato skewers, sweet-ish meatballs, white chicken chili, veggies and dip, plus various chips completed the savory part of the spread. For the sweet side, we had our traditional M&M pudding cookies, toffee chunk cookies, homemade Paula Deen's ooey-gooey butter cake (who's afraid of diabetes? not us!), pumpkin bread and chocolate covered graham crackers. It was all DELICIOUS! (items in purple are what we made. I love the opportunity to make party food!)
the savory stuff

sweet stuff

mmmm, cookies
(didn't Eliza do a nice job on the M&Ms?!)

The Giants were the overwhelming favorite of the crowd. Molly wasn't sure who she was supposed to cheer for - Grandma's Giants, or Daddy's Patriots. The other kids didn't really care too much, but they were mesmerized by Madonna's half time show, as were all the adults. (How old is she?! She can still do that?!)

After half time, the average age of the party guests jumped at least 20 years as all the kids went home or were put to bed. All in all, it was a great introduction to Molly of our family tradition. Thanks to everyone who came. We had fun! Let's do it again next year!
Do you still love me Daddy, even though I'm wearing a Giants hat?
I'm really cute!
Just feed me a cookie next year and I'll be on your side!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great party - and "super" victory for the Giants! You missed a picture of my Giants bobblehead, but hopefully I can bring it out again next year.

Anonymous said...

Next to the Giants' victory, my favorite of the party was the sausage roll or bread brought by Wes and Lori - good eating!!
Good party - fun evening!
Love,
Popop