Monday, February 27, 2012

Baptism Times Two

Yesterday was a very special day for our family when Eliza and Molly were baptized. After a bit of negotiation and soul-searching, it worked out to have both girls baptized at the church I grew up at, with both sets of grandparents present. While we are still figuring out what exactly faith and religion means to our family, and how big a role church and religion will play in our day-to-day lives, both Jason and I were happy to have the girls baptized.

Eliza and Molly both did wonderful during the ceremony. Eliza was reluctant to go into the minister's arms, and continued to hold Jason's hand even as the minister performed the rites. Molly did great and didn't cry or spit up while up in front of everyone. After the service was over, we all stood in line to have everyone greet and welcome us (Jason became a member of our church). Eliza did great at shaking people's hands and it was wonderful to hear the many "you have such a beautiful family" comments.
our beautiful family

Eliza got a new white dress for the occasion (good thing Easter is on the horizon or I'm not sure I could have found one!), and Molly wore the dress that Hayden wore, which is the same dress that I wore to be baptized, that was made by one of my aunts. Even Hayden had a new dress on and all three girls looked lovely.
Hayden in her pretty new dress,
holding her groom barbie she bought with her Christmas money

Eliza all dressed up, but still acting goofy

Molly, in her fancy dress, posing with Grandma

the older girls with Grammy and Granddad, before heading to church

We did try to re-create a picture that we had with Hayden and Jay from when Hayden was baptized with Eliza and Molly, but that didn't work out too well. Molly doesn't sit up yet at all and Eliza is not yet to be trusted with holding onto her. Plus Molly was ready to be done.

After church we had a bit of a funny snafu getting home. We'd taken two cars so that Jason could pick up some fried chicken for our Sunday dinner. I had driven myself and Molly to church in the Escape, while everyone else came in the Pilot. On the way out, Jason headed out to go get the chicken, taking the Escape. As I walked to the pilot, I suddenly went "oh no, did he remember?!!!?" and of course he didn't. Can you guess what the problem was?....

I had simply carried Molly inside in my arms, and Jason had driven off with the infant carseat. So Grammy, Hayden, Eliza, Molly and I were stuck at the church with no way to safely (and legally!) get Molly home. Of course this was the one time Jason did NOT have his cell phone, so repeatedly calling him did no good! Luckily Grandma thought to intercept Jason at the chicken pickup and the girls were entertained by climbing around the car in their fancy dresses. Despite the snafu, we still made it home in a timely-ish manner and enjoyed a wonderful Sunday dinner of chicken, biscuits, green salad, fruit salad and cupcakes.

Happy baptism girls!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The girls were beautiful and did so well; it was a wonderful occasion and very nice to have all the grandparents there. What a special day!
Love,
Popop

Mandy said...

Congrats to your beautiful family! seriously, you all look so beautiful! and, please tell me, how do you like the pilot? we're interested in a new car someday, and were thinking about that.