Sunday, January 31, 2010

Christmas Bonus

On this last day of January, I figure it's my last chance to sneak in a few more cute pictures from December; plus one more fabulous bonus video! We did have fun with the Christmas season this year. And yes, Hayden did learn to refer to it as the "Christmas season". I'm not sure how that happened. She really took the concept of Santa Claus and Baby Jesus. I bought her a book of the Christmas Story that we read over and over and over. She frequently told us that her baby doll was named Jesus, even if it was a girl. She thought the nativity scene was pretty cool and liked when we let her play with it.


I also introduced her to Christmas cookies, which she loved. She was great at unwrapping Hershey Kisses for snowballs. She loved mixing things up and tasting them, though she wasn't too keen on helping roll "icky balls" (aka chocolate crinkle cookies)m but she was good at dipping them in powdered sugar. And she did a great job decorating sugar cookies for her teachers for Christmas. She didn't even try and eat the frosting or sprinkles - just the mini M&Ms.
Icky ball tasting mouth! Yummy!

Carefully decorating sugar cookies for teachers. See the finished products below!
Helping mommy unwrap kisses. Look at those fine motor skills!

She also had fun playing in the snow when it fell. One wet snow, she just plopped down and started digging with her shovel and pail, like it was sand. She didn't seem to care she was getting soaked!

And of course she loved the Christmas carols. You've already seen jingle bells in action and she learned many, many more: away in the manger and We three kings were favorites. And when I told her I really like God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Barenaked Ladies, she liked it too and we listened to it over and over in the car. And of course we sang happy birthday to Jesus a lot too. After Christmas, it was kind of sad to tell her that we weren't really going to sing those till next year. And I still hear her singing Away in the Manger from time to time. Here's "We wish you a Merry Christmas" during bathtime!


It was a great "Christmas Season" and we can't wait till next year!

3 comments:

The Thomasville Harrisons said...

So if she's such a great singer, can the next step be to work on shrieking vs singing?! :) I like the high notes in her Christmas carol.
And, you forgot to note that Hayden didn't just play with your nativity scene... she wanted to see Jesus in EVERY nativity scene she encountered. And, the whole family sang Happy Birthday to Jesus at Hayden's request at Christmas dinner!

Anonymous said...

I haven't gotten the video to play yet, so I can't check on Lacey's comment about shrieking vs singing but I hope to do that soon.
I remember three little blond girls from 25 years ago who also were fascinated with nativity sets, especially the big, expensive one at Granma Jane's house.
Hayden's cookie making skills and dedication are terrific! I hope her teachers appreciated her efforts.
Love,
Popop

Anonymous said...

Got the video to play and Lacey's comments were right on! What a performance - I can hardly wait until next Christmas when Hayden and I can sing many, many carols together!
Love,
Popop