The only bad part of my Hawaii trip was learning the sad news that Ammi, Jason's grandmother, died while I was gone. Besides the sadness of the event, it also created some logistical issues as Grammy left early to fly to Michigan, and I got to start packing again almost as soon as I walked in the door. We left the house less than 24 hours after I had returned to drive up to Michigan. Everything about the trip went smoothly (thankfully) and we were very glad to be able to attend the final celebration of Ammi's life and see all kinds of DeRousie family. However, because of various hotel and state hopping, I calculated that I had ended up sleeping in 7 different beds (in 4 different states) over the course of 9 days! It was quite the traveling adventure.
After a quick reunion, the girls were quite amenable to a road trip. Their excitement at staying in a hotel was just hilarious. When we arrived at the Holiday Inn Express (which they pointed out EVERY one on the way there, and for the rest of the trip) after bedtime, they were bouncing off the walls with excitement!
 |
| can't you just feel the excitement!?! a hotel room?! WOW! |
After West Virginia, we headed up to Michigan (ironically circling around Columbus!), and met up with the rest of the DeRousie family by late afternoon. The girls quickly reaquainted themselves with the extended DeRousie family and had a great time playing with cousins. I even got to partner with Poppa for euchre, which I considered to be a great honor!
 |
| Molly's first legit lollipop - she was so happy after illegally tasting them previously |
 |
| pile on Uncle Roy! (I think... it's hard to tell...) |
The next day was the celebration of Ammi's life at the local firehall where Poppa had served as firechief for 17 years. There were lots of fun pictures to look at (I took some photos of the pictures so I could save/share them) and the girls had fun playing with their cousins and other relatives, while mooching as many cookies and lemonade sips they could manage.
 |
| the DeRousie clan. Only missing one cousin I think. |
 |
| Posing with Poppa |
 |
| Mooching off Grammy |
 |
| Ammi. I think Eliza kind of looks like her. |
 |
| Mooching off Granddad |
 |
| Poppa and his firetruck (how cool is that!? He had a fire truck!) |
 |
| Ammi and Jason, circa 1977. If you want to know where the girls get their cheeks from.... :) |
 |
| cousin chaos |
 |
| a couchful of cousins |
 |
| enjoying Michigan corn, even with all the holes in her mouth. yum! |
 |
| Molly does a little stretching |
 |
| watching the dinner train (station was next door) head out |
With no disrespect to family, I think the girls would have said that the best part of the trip was getting to go in the pool. We went at least twice, including one right-before-bed trip that they just loved. They have made a lot of progress with their swimming this summer, so they love any opportunity to swim! We also learned that Molly can sing with pop songs - do you recognize what she's singing?!(so the video is from the car, but she started singing it at the pool, just randomly!)
 |
| entering the pool |
 |
| let's play toss the baby! |
 |
| our orange-bug-eyed fish |
 |
| a flying fish! |
After another night in Michigan, and stopping by to see family again in the morning, we headed back to Columbus for the day. It was good to be out of a hotel room, and have some time to run around and visit Graeter's! The next morning we headed back to NC. I'd like to give a shoutout to the Wendy's employee, who when we stopped in Greensboro for frostys (only an hour from home mind you!), gave us free toys when E started crying (randomly, for something small I can't remember now) and those toys were complete entertainment for the rest of the drive! Life saver!
We made it home a little bit sad to have said goodbye, but safe and sound, happy to have seen so much loving family. We are so thankful to have spent time with Ammi (especially last summer in the UP) and that all three girls were able to meet her. We'll miss you Ammi!
 |
| Molly, Jason and Ammi last summer |
1 comment:
Very nice tribute to Ammi, Poppa, and the whole family!
Quite a fun trip despite loosing the matriarch of the family.
Love,
Popop
Post a Comment