Monday, August 22, 2011

Summer Snippets

Somehow we've been staying busy this summer but not really taking very many pictures. Part of that may have been that I broke the camera temporarily, but I think we've just been doing so many regular old things (as opposed to wild and crazy momentous events) that I just haven't dragged out the camera. But in uploading pictures today, there are a few cute ones that just kind of capture our life this summer, and give you an idea of what we've been up to.

First off, I've been growing Nugget. Not so easy in the heat but Nugget doesn't seem to mind and is getting nice and big. Can't you tell? :) (pic is at 30 weeks so I'm even bigger now. yay.)

Then there's Eliza, our crazy goofy girl. She is so silly; it's great! She loves to run around and be crazy - often carrying various supplies - like bunny ears, or bags of "stuff" (her words), or baby dolls she stole from Hayden. And she likes to put together interesting outfits.


(She also a more willing subject as I play with settings on the camera.)


Also, she has recently discovered puzzles and concentrates very hard on them. We have one puzzle where the pieces are all the same - the front end of vehicles. I have watched her dump out the pieces and very carefully put all the pieces back into the puzzle - with no regard to whether the piece matches with the back end of the vehicle. (i.e. if the red front goes with the red back). But then on the last piece, she kind of goes "oh!" to herself, and proceeds to move all the pieces around to their correct places. Then she goes thru the whole process again! I don't know why she didn't just match them up the first time!


Hayden has loved that we have been slowly working our way thru various kid movies this summer. They don't watch much TV, so one movie will often take us 4-5 days to get thru as they get to watch 15-20 minutes before bed. Most recently we watched Pinnochio because we had read the story in a book, and How to Train a Dragon, because we'd almost gone to see it at the theater but decided it might be too much. We did rate HTD a "little scary" but Hayden said she really liked it, had lots of questions and wants to see it again. Movie snuggle time on the couch is great.

Occasionally I try to do fun activities (the heat and pregnancy is sapping my creative juices unfortunately). But Hayden really likes the story of the paper bag princess so I decided we'd paint paper bags and then we could make them into dresses. They liked painting the bags.
And then we made lemonade after the painting, because Eliza was in love with the (diluted) lemonade she was allowed at a friend's house recently. She was not happy that she didn't get to stir it as much as she wanted, or drink as much as she wanted. She tends to call it yemonade which often comes out yummy-ade and makes me laugh.


The next day, when we were going to make the bags into dresses, we made crowns first. Hayden went CRAZY decorating her crown with the foam stickers we had. I should have chosen stronger paper because it didn't hold up well. And when I wanted to make the bags into dresses, Hayden balked at wearing a paper bag and decided she needed to put on her fancy princess dress. So they spent most of the day dressed up as princesses!


Finally, this one is just from yesterday. They ended up in matching outfits for the whole day (Hayden didn't wear her ice cream dress or her 'fancy' red dress. bonus!) and agreed to let me take a picture of them. Aren't they cute?!

3 comments:

Jane said...

Thanks for both these sweet posts, Becky. Eliza's and Hayden's unique personalities bubble over in these photos!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry we never got to see the princesses in their paper bag dresses because they worked so hard painting and decorating them. However, they are two beautiful princesses whatever they are wearing!
Love,
Popop

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, this post holds some very cute photos of your girls. I LOVE the princess gear - dresses, paper bags, crowns, the whole bit. Charlotte has a lot to learn from her cousins!