Friday, September 11, 2009

Labor Day Fun

Even though I didn't go into labor on Labor Day weekend, we still had a productive and fun three-day weekend. Jason touched up the ceiling paint, we moved the furniture in (bed, dresser, etc), got Hayden set up in her new 'big-girl' bed, put up our tree on the wall, sorted and washed newborn clothes, and even managed to host one more social gathering before we retreat into family time to take care of a newborn. Quite the weekend! We didn't end up taking too many pictures, which is probably okay. I mean, how exciting is it to see a picture of us sorting and washing newborn clothes. But I do have a few to share of the mostly finished nursery, the party, and Hayden's big-girl bed.

First the nursery, which I'm sure you are eager to check out. We have transformed what was my study, painted green, into a lovely little nursery, painted tan. I was happy to see the green go - I picked it out in the beginning but never really liked it. It looks MUCH better in the neutral color. And the tree decal we found is awesome! It's hard to really capture a small room in pictures to show the colors and set up and all, so you'll just have to imagine it all together.

Hayden likes having the nursery set up because she has discovered a new room to open/close the door to (a rather annoying interest she's picked up lately) and she likes playing with the baby toys we gathered up.

I still don't know if Hayden really gets that there will be a new baby living with us soon. It could be quite the adjustment for her. She actually shows little interest in baby Logan, besides peering at him for a few moments. (though she did hold him again the other day, with plenty of spotting, and did great.) And lately, when Blizzard (the dog that we've had the WHOLE time she's been around) has crawled in Jason's lap while on the couch, Hayden has started protesting, 'my daddy, my daddy.' So a new baby might be tough to handle but I'm sure she'll survive.

After all, we were a bit concerned about moving her to a new bed and she has handled it splendidly. She has slept in it for a whole week now and has done great! So far no issues with getting up or anything. Sometimes it does seem to take her a while to fall asleep for nap or at night. We'll hear some thumping, or a book singing, or our favorite, 'cover me up! cover me up!' but she's done remarkable well. Of course, she still hasn't quite the hang of sleeping like a normal person. When we check on her, we often come away from the door laughing hysterically (though silently) at whatever position she's gotten herself into. I'm too scared to take a picture, but we've found her sleeping perpendicular to the bed, with her feet actually touching the floor, at the complete opposite end of the bed AND one time, underneath her pillow. But she sleeps and seems well rested so we don't complain or try to change her habits! Here's a picture of her new bed, with a very proud Hayden.

And finally, a few pics from our party. It was the usual grill out type gathering with our usual crowd so I won't bore you with details. The main deviation was that Hayden and I had given Jason an early birthday present - a snazzy new bocce set - and after we ate dinner, we all walked down to the park to play. It's a nice set if I may say so, solid heavy balls, and Jason even won his first match with them!
Hayden begging for the patonk (sp?) when we first got the set out. She wasn't a big fan at first, since she wasn't allowed to hold the balls, and so we walked over to another section of the park to go swing.
Measuring out who's closest. We used the offically sanctioned "foot" measurement system.
Noah was also uninterested in bocce, but he scaled to new heights in the meantime!
Eventually Hayden and Noah did stop to watch the game a little bit and had fun sitting together on the bench.
Towards the end of the game, Hayden found a spare ball that she was allowed to carry around. It's 'heavy' she said!
As the game finished up, Hayden requested to be spun by daddy. Noah thought it looked fun, so he asked his mom to do the same. I tried to get them in the same photo, but this was as close as I could get due to the necessary distance for safety. Notice Blizzard up and at 'em as the fun police - there was a lot of giggling going on!

Back at the ranch, we all enjoyed brownies for dessert. While they may seem a little strange when you know the secret ingredient, they are SO good. I've made them twice recently and I'm trying to come up with an excuse to make more! and everyone else must have liked them too because there was hardly any left in the dish.

So that was our Labor Day weekend. A fun, productive, and wonderful three days. Now we just continue counting down till Baby Deux arrives!

1 comment:

The Thomasville Harrisons said...

OMG - the nursery! Love it! Thanks for sharing photos! And I'm so proud of Hayden and her big bed. She'll need to tell Jay how it all works when they see each other next... I'm not so sure he'll stay in bed without crib rails!