Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The start of baby season

Many of you who read this blog may be wondering about our friends, Sarah and Brad, and the arrival of their new baby. I am happy to report that Logan Bradley Cox arrived last Monday (the 10th of August) as a happy, healthy and red-headed little baby boy of 6 lbs, 14 oz. Thus begins the start of what I'm going to call 'baby season' when all the babies from the 'preggo posse' (as Jason likes to refer to me, Sarah and Ali) will eventually be born. Sarah just had hers, I'm due the end of September, and Ali (who I know from playing soccer) is due the beginning of October. The three of us took a water aerobics class (that wasn't very exciting) together and then continued to walk together. It's been great talking with them about all sorts of baby-related stuff since I don't actually have that many friends who have children. We have also tried a couple of 'local' eateries together that have made for interesting meals. Hopefully we can continue to get together as our babies make their way into the world. Here's a pic of us after the more successful of our meals together (breakfast here), just two days before Logan's arrival!
We were able to visit them in the hospital (without Hayden who is under the visiting age limit of a non-relative) but haven't seem them, or Logan much over the ensuing week. (completely understandable I say!). But we were eagerly waiting the opportunity to introduce Hayden to Logan (the way she says baby Logan is just TOO cute), but didn't want to rush things at all. Well this past Sunday, Sarah and Brad were ready to venture out and came over to our house for a little while. Thus Hayden was finally officially introduced to "Baby Logan."

Hayden was really shy as Sarah and Brad brought Logan in and laid him on the floor. Isn't he adorable?!!
She needed to sit in my lap (no small feat these days) and we started off slow with just touching his toe.
As she grew more comfortable with the idea of the baby, we progressed to touching his hand, to see if he'd grab her fingers. (We had washed her hands carefully when he arrived!). Hayden may have been apprehensive but Logan just slept and made cute newborn faces.

Then Hayden got bored and needed to go 'shopping' while wearing sunglasses. I often have the same urge while taking care of Hayden during the day. :)
After visiting for a little while, I asked Sarah if it'd be okay if Hayden held Logan. She said that'd be fine, and with plenty of adult supervision, we settled Hayden on the couch, surrounded by pillows, to hold Logan. She had been instructed that we need to be 'gentle' with the baby and she did a great job.
Hayden sat with Logan for maybe a couple minutes and then out of the blue this look of complete panic came over her and she was ready to hand him over. I zoomed in on this last picture so you can sort of see the look. I'm not sure what happened since he didn't move or cry and we didn't say anything. I guess she was just done. But overall she did a fantastic job of holding him. I know she'll be great as a big sister!
After holding Logan, Hayden resorted back to her old tricks of getting Sarah to do things for her - this time reading a story. And Sarah, a mom only by one week, performed marvelously, managing to hold Logan AND read The Very Hungry Catepillar at the same time. I hope I can do that well in another month or so!
Then it was time for baby Logan to go and so ended the introduction of Hayden and Logan. I think it's the beginning of a beautiful friendship!
_____________________________________________________________

A couple other pictures from the baby-related theme, Hayden is continuing to be pretty interested in our baby and my belly. She often tries to pull my shirt up to 'look' at the baby and frequently gives my belly kisses when she does that. Though I'm not a big fan of how enormous my belly is, Jason managed to capture a couple of cute moments that I'll share. Please focus on Hayden and how cute she is! :)


PS - one last recent moment: so Jason has been having lots of work done on his teeth. He came home from an appointment yesterday in pain, and proceeded to put ice on his jaw. Hayden, in true mimicking toddler form, also wanted ice and followed him around holding ice to her jaw. So funny!

3 comments:

Laura Wray-Lake said...

Looks like Hayden is ready for the role of big sister!!

And, you'll have to tell me sometime whether green bowl breakfast is good - I've been curious to try it!
-laura

Anonymous said...

Hayden is going to be a GREAT big sister. awww, so so cute. all of it!! and, becky, i think your baby belly is absolutely beautiful!!! :-)

The Thomasville Harrisons said...

I agree, Mandy! Baby bellies are the BEST!! I'm glad Hayden appreciates what a wonderful thing it is. She'll be a great big sis... and just think of how she'll feel looking back at pictures of her and baby just like you and I do!