Friday, July 10, 2009

Toddler Idiosyncracies

I still have a backlog of blogs to write about various activities and trips, but I am going to interrupt getting those out in order to write about how much Hayden makes me laugh these days. This is not "make me laugh" because she's intentionally being silly (which definitely is happening more and more!) - instead it's make me laugh, because being almost two is such a funny age. I know she's not being atypical developmentally in the least, but there are just so many times during the day when she cracks me up because things have to be a certain way, just because. I can't wait until she can actually tell me why things have to be a certain way. For now, I just make up reasons to myself and try to accommodate her preferences when I can.

For example, she is in love with oatmeal. I think she would eat it for any meal anytime (had leftovers for snack yesterday) but she pretty much always requests it for breakfast. We let her have oatmeal fairly often, but not always with varying success about getting her interested in cereal with milk, yogurt, muffins, etc as other options. While her preference for oatmeal is funny on its own (I don't even eat oatmeal, so she's not copying me), it's the oatmeal-raisin interaction that's funny. She sees Jason adding raisins to his cereal, and asks for some for herself. After getting "yelled at" in toddler terms for daring to add raisins to her cereal ourselves, we have learned to simply give some raisins to her in a bowl, or just on her tray. She then puts them into her oatmeal, and sometimes even mixes them around. BUT the idiosyncracy is that then she doesn't even eat them!!! She just picks around them. Which makes me laugh since she was so adamant about getting raisins. And it's not that she doesn't like raisins ever - she did eat the whole concoction when she had the leftover oatmeal, raisins and all. But it does make me laugh to watch her scoop a bite of oatmeal and then pick off the raisin she got inadvertently. Oh well.

Let's see other silly things... She likes to sleep with her polka-dot fleece pajamas. Not wearing them; it's too hot for fleece and since they are one-piece zip ups, they don't really fit anymore, but she likes to have them as a snuggle object. Along with her "soft" blanket. And she likes her animals and such in her crib to be down by her feet, not next to her head. And she likes to have a book in her crib, as she goes to bed. I haven't seen her read the book, especially at night time, but she does sometimes snuggle in on top of it.

She will tell Jason and me what we can and cannot wear. Jason had to change shirts this morning because she didn't like the one he first chose. I was told to wear certain flip flops the other day and she has told me to wear a specific shirt. For the record, we don't always give in to her. When she selected a shirt for me, I told her it didn't match and I'd wear it tomorrow. She found that an acceptable explanation.

She doesn't like new shoes. But if we force her to put on a pair and then distract her, she'll forget and then be perfectly fine with them. This also happens with clothes. She doesn't really like to pick out her clothes, but she does always request her ice cream shirt. (a tank top with ice cream cones on it.) She did tell me today, when she asked for it, that she couldn't wear it because it was dirty. Which is true, I've been telling her that since Sunday, when she did wear it - guess I need to do some laundry!

Okay, so I'm blanking on anything else especially funny, except for her obsession with ice. First, ice has joined the list of things you can't eat in front of her without getting a request to share. Which is unfortunate since one of my pregnancy things is eating ice cubes that have melted a certain amount. If she sees me crunching, she'll ask for a "baby ice" so she can have one too. But in general, we have somehow created an ice monster. Every drink has to have ice in it, milk included. It's gotten to the point where I think she simply checks to see if there is ice, even if she's not interested in drinking! During our bed time routine, she often takes a few drinks of water, and the cup we keep in her bedroom must have ice in it. The other day, before nap, she asked for her water, asked for ice (I had to tell her it was itty-bitty ice since there wasn't any and I didn't feel like getting up to get some), and after staring at the cup for a bit, she said okay, and gave it back to me without drinking. Our solution to this ice situation, besides ALWAYS putting ice in her cup before we give it to her, is to put in the plastic reusable ice cubes. Since she's not concerned about the drink actually being cold, she's satisfied if there's just something in her glass. It works out well for all!

Well, just so you don't think I've actually posted a blog without pictures, here are a couple cute ones. And I'll see if I can think of any more funny Hayden idiosyncracies. She does make us laugh every day. It's great!


Saying "CHEESE" yesterday morning. This face cracks me up everytime she does it.
Being silly outside on the front stoop on day recently. Such a goofball.

1 comment:

The Thomasville Harrisons said...

I can't get enough of her BLONDE hair!! And I love the OCD-ness of toddlers. Every time Jay picks up his water cup, he asks for more, even if it's full. Hope Miss Hayden had a fabulous birthday!